Every child deserves a chance to learn, and that is why we will be continuing last month’s book drive into February 10th’s Potted Meet. Donations will be collected for a local St. Paul charity called Books for Africa which collects, sorts, and ships new and gently used books to children in need.
Books for Africa is flexible in the donations they accept, but because these books will be used in a learning environment, they do have some requirements that we have listed below:
Books For Africa Accepts:
- popular fiction and nonfiction reading books (soft and hard cover).
- books that are 15 years old or newer.
- primary, secondary, and college textbooks (soft and hard cover) with a 1998 or newer publish date.
- reference books such as encyclopedias and dictionaries published in 2003 or later .
- medical, nursing, IT, and law books with a 1998 or newer publish date.
- School/office supplies—paper, pencils, pens, wall charts, maps, etc.
Books For Africa does NOT accept:
- Magazines or journals of any kind, including academic journals.
- Home decorating or wedding books.
- Ethnocentric books, such as the biography of Abraham Lincoln or the history of Ohio.
- Foreign language books except for French books. French novels and dictionaries are welcome.
- American history or civics.
- Music books for K–12.
- Murder mysteries or anything with “kill,” “die,” “murder,” etc. in the title
Each book costs 50 cents to send overseas so we will have a small jar next to the book donation box. Please do not feel pressured to donate money, books alone will be just fine. Any other information about donations can be found on their website.
***All information on Books for Africa was taken from their websitewww.booksforafrica.org.